I know a few things...
"The most important thing in life is to be
free to do things. There are only two ways to insure that freedom —
you can be rich or you can you reduce your needs to zero."
cobb is michael bowen
"Humankind still lives in prehistory everywhere,
indeed everything awaits the creation of the world as a genuine
one... if human beings have grasped themselves, and what is theirs,
without depersonalization and alienation, founded in real democracy,
then something comes into being in the world that shines into everyone's
childhood and where no one has yet been -- home."
|"..woncha tell someone
to meet me, I'm comin...home."
|All you are ever told in
this country about being black is that it is a terrible, terrible
thing to be. Now, in order to survive this, you have to really dig
down into yourself and re-create yourself, really, according to no
image which yet exists in America. You have to impose, in fact - this
may sound very strange - you have to decide who you are, and force
the world to deal with you, not with its idea of you
|"Make no little plans.
They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably themselves will
not be realized. Make big plans. Aim high in hope and work, remembering
that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die, but long
after we are gone will be a living thing, asserting itself with ever-growing
-- Daniel Hudson Burnham
|"The fundamental role
of the public intellectual - distinct from, yet building on, the indispensable
work of academics, experts, analysts, and pundits - is to create and
sustain high-quality public discourse addressing urgent public problems
which enlightens and energizes fellow citizens, prompting them to
take public action."
-- Cornel West
|"I cherish the twilight. I maximize, my soul is the right size. I look for the power to run out on the moon, and that'll be sometime soon"
-- Kelvin Mercer
|"When there is no hero,
you be the hero."
-- Rabbi Hillel
- A little bit of everything adds up to a whole lot of nothing.
- There is Marriage, and there is everything else.
- Talk what you know, and don't mumble.
- Civilization is where you put it.
- Don't second guess people.
- Always have stretch goals.
- Never trust anyone whose shoes cost more than your whole day's pay.
- An enemy is someone who doesn't mind if you fail.
- It's better to be the King of a small hill, than a Prince at a higher elevation.
- An early start beats fast running.
- Perfect is the enemy of good.
- The Planet is fine.
- None of your ideas are any good until somebody else can take advantage of them without your permission.
- When people are confused, they overuse their strengths.
- If the poor and oppressed knew how to work the system, they wouldn't be poor and oppressed.
- Never underestimate the intelligence of people in power.
- Information isn't power. Power is power.
- The great illusion of Progressivism is that the middle class can make the poor into the middle class.
- If you really care about others, then you would be trying to get them to think and behave the way you do.
- Children are stupid and uncivilized. Anybody who thinks otherwise is, by definition, a child.
- If someone has bad breath, tell them.
- Marketing is the art and science of redefining common sense for a profit.
- Internet links are weak links.
- Only be a fan of the dead.
- You ultimately get the audience you deserve.
- Don't tell 'em what you're going to do. Tell 'em what you've done.
- It's very dangerous to rhetorically cross a man who masters nothing else but rhetoric.
- If you're not going to knock it out, don't get in the ring.
- It's a vice when nice won't suffice.
- There is always bacteria, and bacteria never sleep.
- Give a man a fire and he’ll be warm for one night. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.
- If it barks at everything, it's not a watchdog.
- Mass democracy is just mass markets for things that actually shouldn’t be bought & sold.
- Obsession with outliers = disrespect for the common man.
Wisdom is the ability to describe the complex and make it appear so obvious that it becomes boring.
What do you give a man who has everything? An irresistable opportunity
to throw it all away.
The Devil's Advocate only argues because he is disgusted and contemptuous.
No matter where you park your car, the birds will always find it.
If what you’re advocating is truly not hurting anybody, why can’t you shut up about it?
How to Handle Black People: A Beginner's Manual