- Strip searches for misdemeanors in NYC
- A Letter from
Occupied New York
- by John Leonard
- Bob Herbert Editorial
- It seems a couple of Hispanic guys in the
building's lobby had some cocaine. And that's reason enough in the cowboy logic of the
police to arrest any black men who are nearby.
- New York is a city in which a woman who had voluntarily
undergone two searches when she was accused of stealing a ring can nevertheless be dragged
away in handcuffs, presumably because she was near an item that was reported missing.
- Attorney General Eliot Spitzer
- Using the stated policies of the NYPD, NYPD-generated survey data, and the
statements of a number of current and former New York City police officers as a basis,
Part III attempts to provide the Department's view of "stop & frisk" as a
day-to-day part of police work.
- Report on Michele
- Ms. Hirshman helped commission a $100,000
statistical study conducted by Columbia University's Center for Violence Research and
- Nat Hentoff
- In the more than 40 years I've been a reporter in this city, I have covered a
remarkable number of reckless public officials,
but Howard Safir and the mayor have earned a lifetime achievement award in that category